How to do your insurance claim
How to do your insurance claim
Posted on April 24, 2022
Your car is central to your daily life. It gets you where you need to go and frees you from depending on public transportation systems. As such, your car must stay in good condition, but unfortunately, accidents happen. If and when they do, it's essential to know what you need to do to file a car insurance claim. We've put together this guide on how to handle your car insurance claim.
Steps To File Insurance Claim
- Call the police immediately after the accident. They will take care of everything, including making sure you get medical attention if necessary and filing an official police report.
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle and any other vehicles involved in the incident and photographs of your surroundings (if possible). Include these in your claim.
- Write down all other drivers' information, including their name, address, phone number, license plate number, driver's license number, insurance company, and policy number.
- Contact your insurance company to file a claim as soon as possible after it occurs. The sooner you do this, the better!
- Make sure that you communicate with your agent and provide them with all details about the accident and your damages.
Speak With an Insurance Adjuster
When you claim your car insurance, your first step will be to speak with an SGI appraisal Winnipeg professional. This person will be responsible for evaluating the cost of the damage caused in an accident and deciding whether or not it is covered. To ensure that your claim is handled quickly and correctly, it is essential to follow a few instructions when speaking with an insurance adjuster.
The first thing you need to do when speaking with an insurance adjuster is to tell the truth. Insurance companies can quickly check the details of your claim using police reports, witness statements, and more. If you lie about how much damage was done to your vehicle or if you lied about how the accident occurred in the first place, then you might find yourself in trouble with the courts for fraud. Even something as simple as forgetting where you parked can come back to hurt you if you lie about it.
Make Sure You Understand What's Covered
Before speaking with an insurance adjuster, it's good to do some research into what your plan actually covers. This way, you'll know ahead of time what kinds of things they are likely to pay for and what they won't pay for.
Accept the Claim After Getting the Adjusters Report
Once you receive the Adjuster's Report, you can choose to accept your car insurance claim. Accepting the claim means that you agree with the total amount of money that is needed to repair your vehicle. If there are any discrepancies between what your insurance company has credited you and what it costs to repair your vehicle.
When you've been in an accident on the road, there are some critical steps to follow if you want to get your car insurance claim settled. What's more, as a safety tip, it's always recommended that you report accidents to the proper authorities. Hopefully, this article helped you understand how to claim car insurance.